Bayview Design & Drafting logo - click for home page Right Banner Graphic
browser requirements about this site
home news about BD&D services project process forms & permits frequently asked questions contact details email

Aussie Spec Constructions Web Site


Frequently Asked Questions


Q: Do i need a building permit for my proposed project?

A: Different types of projects require different types of permit's..... Therefore depending on what you propose to construct, depends on the type of permit required, in some cases a permit is not required at all. Some examples are listed below...

Projects that require a building permit

* Any addition to a dwelling or any other building.

* Structural alterations to a dwelling or any other building.

* Removal of or alteration to a load beaing part of a building.

* Free standing carports & garages which costs more than $5,000.

* Garages & carports that are attached to another building regardless of cost.

* construct a garage or carport over an easement.

* Installation of swimming pools or spas.

* Verandahs attached to any building.

Projects NOT requiring a building permit.

* Free standing garages & carports which cost less that $5,000

* Unroofed post & beam pergola associated with a house or garage.

* Garden sheds not exceeding 10 sq mtrs in area.

Projects requiring a planning permit.

(generally a planning permit is required prior to the application of a building permit in the following cases...

Single dwellings requiring a planning permit if..

* There is a heritage overlay upon the property.

* Construct or alter a dwelling where the allotment area is under 300 sq mtrs.

* Construct a second dwelling on an allotment where there is already one existing.

* the proposed dwelling exceeds the height limit restriction (Geelong and the Bellarine peninsula have a building height limit of 7500mm from any point measured at NGL)

Multi Unit development construction requiring a planning permit...

* To construct more than one dwelling on an allotment.

* Extend or renovate existing dwellings where there are more that one on an allotment.

However if you are unsure of the situation, it is best to check with the local municipality- City Of Greater Geelong.

Q: What is the difference between a "Building Permit" and a "Planning Permit"?
A: If there are special circumstances applying to your property, or you want to constrcut mutli unit developments, then you may require a planning permit to do so. A planning permit is required to be issued prior to a building permit.

Generally, a building permit is required to build a new dwelling, alter or extend onto an existing dwelling, including carports, verandahs & balconies.

A planning permit is required to construct more than one dwelling on a lot, alter or extend an existing dwelling where there is more than one dwelling on a lot, where the property is less than 300 sq mtrs, where there is an overlay upon the property, (etc), remembering that a building permit is then required after the planning permit has been issued.

Q: What documentation is required to accompany an application?

A: to make an application for a building permit, generally the following information is required to accompany the application...

* 3x copies of plans that have been completed by a registered draftperson.

* Copy of title.

* Completed application form.

* Application fee.

* Soil report.

* star Energy rating report

* Engineering specifications (if required)

* Owner builder consent certificate or registered builder HOW insurance certificate. (if building works exceed $12,000 including materials & labour)

Bayview Design & drafting can guide you through this process, complete the plans for you, and even organise other associated documentation on your behalf.

Q: what is involved with being an owner builder?

A: If you are a handyman at heart, and have a sound knowledge and understanding of the building industry, then you may be considering completing your project as an owner builder. If this is the case and your project is over $12,000 in cost & labour, then you will firstly need to apply for an owner builder consent certificate, Copies of the informational booklet and application form are available from our office. This new regulation came into effect on 14th June 2005, and an owner builder may only obtain a building permit for a single dwelling and can no longer construct multi dwelling developments, also the owner builder must reside or intend to reside in that dwelling, and can only apply for this consent once in a three year period. More information is available from our office.

If you have a question for Bayview Design & Drafting, then please simply send us an email....



home news about BD&D services project process forms & permits frequently asked questions contact details email

Aussie Spec Constructions Web Site
browser requirements about this site
This site, including all code, text and graphics, remains
Copyright © 2004 Bayview Design & Drafting

Page Last Updated: Mon, August 27, 2012 3:57 PM